Children experience an environment where their emotional well being is nurtured.
They feel comfortable with the routines customs and regular events.
Ministry of Education (2017) Te Whāriki: New Zealand Early Childhood Curriculum
Little Buddies Learning Centre has developed a policy for the smooth settling down of new children in the centre. Our experience informs us that to ensure a smooth transition for your child, the following tips may be useful
- Young children are very sensitive and can pick up on signals and feelings of their parents. Your child will feel less apprehensive if you show your enthusiasm and trust in the staff. Reassure the child that you are comfortable leaving him/her in our care.
- We encourage you to spend time in the centre with your child, become comfortable with our routines and use this time to express any aspirations and special considerations that you have for your child.
- We encourage you to spend time finding out what your child enjoys doing the most, this will help us to settle him/her in the centre.
- When you feel confident about leaving your child at the centre, say ‘goodbye’ to the child and tell the child that you will return to collect him/her, e.g you could say: ‘ I will pick you up in the afternoon’. Please do not try to sneak out of the centre as this will cause the child to mistrust you and disrupt the settling down process.
- It is quite normal for children to take a liking towards a particular teacher. If you think that such may be the case for your child, please feel free to ask the concerned teacher to support your child in settling at the centre.
- Feel free to call us any time of the day to check on your child’s day and your call will be transferred to your child’s room immediately so that you can talk to his/her teacher.
- If the child seems upset, we will communicate with you and together we will put a plan in place to facilitate the settling of your child. Please ensure that your contact details are current at all times.
- When you collect your child at the end of the day we will give you a report on your child’s activities throughout the day. We recommend that you talk to your child about all of the exciting things that he/she did during the day.
Children take different amounts of time to settle down in the centre, do not get impatient. Please stays focused in your approach and maintain the communication with the staff at the centre.